Chicago Bears: An Early Look
Here are a few things we’ve learned from the first scrimmage & early weeks of practice leading up to the preseason:
- On the field, head coach John Fox isn’t spending all his time with a particular position group or side of the ball. He is spending equal time with everyone & letting his assistants work.
- Vic Fangio’s defense has showed numerous looks and newcomer Pernell McPhee has been all over the place.
- Lamarr Houston has been turning heads with good play at offensive linebacker after returning from his ACL injury
- Inside linebacker Shea McClellin is still quarterbacking the starting defensive line
- The starting defensive line is shaping up to be Ego Ferguson (Defensive End), Jeremiah Ratliff (Nose Tackle) and Jarvis Jenkins (Defensive End). Ferguson has slimmed down some & is having a good camp thus far.
- The starting offensive line looks to be Jermon Bushrod (Left Tackle), Matt Slauson (Left Guard), Will Montgomery (Center), Kyle Long (Right Guard) and Jordan Mills (Right Tackle). Charles Leno has added some muscle & appears to be the front runner for the swing tackle/6th offensive lineman role.
- Wide out Eddie Royal who signed to be a slot receiver, will play a lot on the outside. Jay Cutler said Royal is having the best camp so far out of all the offensive players.
- Jay Cutler has only 1 interception/turnover in 7-on-7 or “team” sessions during training camp & went 1-5 during the scrimmage on Aug 8.
- First round draft pick Kevin White at wide receiver is still rehabbing his shin injury & coaches are hopeful he will be able to play in the preseason game on Aug 29 against the Bengals.
- Jacquizz Rodgers is beginning to look like a solid #2 RB after a strong showing during their scrimmage on Saturday, Aug 8, which leaves rookie Jeremy Langford & Ka’Deem Carey battling for the #3 running back slot.
- The defense seemed to shine the brightest during their Aug 8 scrimmage, but don’t expect a lot of blitzing this season.
- Wide receiver Marquess Wilson could see some significant action in week 1 against Green Bay if Kevin White is slow to return.
- Some new names on the roster could be in position for a breakout season with the Bears. On defense, Pernell McPhee has been a disruptive force for the new 3-4 formation. Kyle Fuller has been on the fans radar after his 2 interception game last season. On offense, wide receiver Marquess Wilson could capitalize on his extra playing time if rookie Kevin White takes longer than expected to return.
The Bears first preseason game kicks off Thursday, August 13 against the Miami Dolphins. Get your tickets for upcoming regular & preseason games here.
Image source: 7-themes.com